No W-2 - You can still file your 1040

IRS Issues Annual Advice on Missing Form W-2's
Each year, the IRS issues annual advice on actions a taxpayer should take when the taxpayer has not received his or her Form W-2. IRS Website (2/8/13).
According to the IRS, if a taxpayer has not received his or her Form W-2, the taxpayer should:
(1) Contact the employer. Ask the employer or former employer to send the W-2 if it has not already been sent. Double check that the employer has the correct address.
(2) Contact the IRS. After February 14, a taxpayer can call the IRS at 800-829-1040 if the taxpayer has not yet received his or her W-2. The IRS will require the following information:
(i) the taxpayer's name, address, social security number and phone number;
(ii) the employer's name, address and phone number;
(iii) the dates the taxpayer worked for the employer; and
(iv) an estimate of the taxpayer's wages and federal income tax withheld in 2012, based on the taxpayer's final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if available.
(3) The taxpayer must still file his or her tax return on or before April 15, 2013, even if no Form W-2 has been received. If the taxpayer has not received a Form W-2, the taxpayer should file Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, in place of the W-2. This form is used to estimate the taxpayer's income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible. The IRS may delay processing of the return while it verifies the information.
If a taxpayer receives the missing W-2 after the tax return has been filed and the information on the W-2 is different from what was reported using Form 4852, then Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, should be filed to amend the tax 

Popular posts from this blog

Bonus Depreciation under the new Tax Law can affect 2017 return

New Jersey Division of Taxation Closes Restaurant - leaving employees and customers stuck

Trump's tax plan